Friday, November 28, 2008

Did you know...

Ever since I worked with an IT partner in India to build a proprietary workpapers system, I've been a believer in Thomas L. Friedman's Flat World.

We'd send our requirements and revisions to the team, overnight they'd work on the problems, and in the morning the changes were made. Now, at that time, the folks in India were primarily order takers. They had a difficult time suggesting solutions and helping us visualize ways it could be better. Even though they were a CMM Level 5 company then, I'm guessing that team is much better now.

I had this opportunity because RSA was a global company and, frankly, the price of admission to the Indian insurance market was setting up this kind of partnership. However, in my work with colleges and universities, I found that, international business programs notwithstanding, most had only a passing relationship with the flat world.

In response, in seminars and presentations, we began using the below video to jump start the sense of urgency and to begin to build, "the business case for change."



What does this have to do with auditing, you ask?

I think it makes a pretty good case for innovating the practice of audit so that it can function in a world with a high degree of change.

Prescott Coleman, CIA, CISA

No comments: